Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 10:54:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS IN CUBA
A Report by Andrew Collins
http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/articles/atlantiscuba.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Deciphering Linear A

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deciphering Linear A  (Read 4289 times)
Gwen Parker
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 03:12:20 pm »

Ideopraxist,

There was nothing condescending or grouchy in my answer at all.  You asked a question, I gave you an answer, simple as that. And what do  get for providing you an answer?  Remarks like:

little grouchy are we Gwen?

your condensending attitude needs a little adjustment methinks.

you prove you are no scholar

perhaps you should put a lock on it if intruders arent welcomed.

your reply sounds like Georgeous words curt and sharp.

its the "tude" or 'chip' I find lousy for a thread starter.

Oy,,you could lighten up a little?

Thank you for the admonishments, imature opinions, sarcasm and blind direction.

I don't for, the life of me, get how you could have been offended to that extent by what I wrote, other than that you are really young or really a bit overly-sensitive.

If you can't discuss things in an academic manner, without getting your feelings hurt, then yes, maybe you should stay out of threads that I've started.

(And you are the one that managed to come across sounding more like Georgeos). 

Good luck in your future conversations with other posters.

Gwen
Report Spam   Logged
Ideopraxist

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 04:36:23 pm »

Undecided
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 04:19:21 pm by Ideopraxist » Report Spam   Logged
Gwen Parker
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 04:41:48 pm »

Yep, just like I said earlier - either you are a little too immature or too overly-sensitive.

Good luck in your future conversations with other posters.

Gwen
Report Spam   Logged
Ideopraxist

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 05:35:12 pm »

Undecided
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 04:43:20 pm by Ideopraxist » Report Spam   Logged
Gwen Parker
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 09:28:11 pm »

Yes, fortunately, most people aren't insecure enough here to feel threatened by the usage of the word, "I."

Gwen
Report Spam   Logged
Akelius
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 10:46:14 pm »

I just read through the original exchange and frankly, I couldn't see anything for anyone to take offense over, unless, of course, one has little respect for the opinions of women to begin with.

As for the inscriptions on the rock bearing some resemblance to Linear A, I don't see that either.  First off, there only appear to be a few inscriptions on the rock.  Perhaps in person, more are visible.  But the upside down triangle appears in the inscriptions of many ancient peoples, many of whom aren't even given credit for having a language.

Here are the writings of Glozel, Iberian and ancient Azilian:

Now here is Gwen's original table of Linear A:

I hope that everyone see that Linear A has more in common with the previous languages than the markings on the rock. 

There are actually only so many symbols one can carve into a rock. It would stand to reason that more than one civilization would be using one or two of them.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 12:07:14 am »

Hi Akelius,Gwen, Ideopraxist

Ok ,I will give my thoughts on the recent posts down there.

Firstly,that is a very good post Akelius and a good point.The inscriptions on the rock are fairly crude ,afterall they are on rough looking rocks.It's not as if it is dressed stone.And most importantly the figures look as if they could be from any number of ancient scripts such as the ones Akelius mentions,and I would include the so-called 'Ogham' script of Ireland and even Nordic Runes.

Secondly, knowing the provenance of the rocks is vital to identify which script it could atleast be related to.Afterall it is often said how the most important aspect of archaeological finds is the context in which they are found.Such as the particular strata of a find , but first things first , we need to know the location of the actual site where the stones were found !!   If they were found on the shores of the Baltic they could perhaps be Runes ,if found in Crete - perhaps Linear A.  I am very sceptical of the rocks simply because the find site was not mentioned straight up. It should be the first thing mentioned. It's that sort of sloppy scholarship we can do without in my opinion.  Maybe it was an honest oversite in which case it would appreciated if you would post the info concerning the rocks original location Ideopraxist.

Thirdly, I agree with Gwen .Nothing Gwen said warranted such a rant like response from you Ideopraxist.She asked reasonable questions. Questions which still have not been answered!. So I'll add my voice ...Where were the rocks found??? and who found them??

Fourthly, it seems that this conversation started going downhill when BlueHue became involved via another one of his classic, incoherent posts that are virtually impossible to make sense of.

oh and if you just ask Bluehue to send you a copy of his timeline Ideopraxist, I'm sure he will be more than happy to send it to you ,If I recall correctly Blue has a new ,improved version of it ready for release.And as he quoted me ,yes it is very colourful, and that's about all.

I don't wanna sound condescending Ideopraxist but it would definately help if you weren't so sensitive about your posts. (I hope we don't have another Bluehue on our hands Tongue)  ok ,sorry ,that was uncalled for, I just couldn't resist.

I'm sure I've just stirred up the wrath of Bluehue ...sigh  Lips sealed  I will never learn Roll Eyes

I realise that was a pretty long-winded post but I am trying to save Ideopraxist from the dark-side. Wink ..."Don't give in to hate Luke" Grin Tongue
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:33:53 am by Mark Ponta » Report Spam   Logged
Akelius
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 08:06:05 pm »

I couldn't have phrased that better myself, Mark - the context of where the rock was found is important.  Obviously, if it was found in North America or some other place, it would bear no relationship whatsoever to Linear A and any inscriptions that were similar would have to be a simple coincidence.

I get the feeling that the rock is something that Ideoperaxist has found himself and that is why he is so protective of it.  If it were me, I would prefer to know the truth about it as opposed to maintain any illusions I might have of it's value.
Report Spam   Logged
Ideopraxist

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 04:33:45 pm »

Hello All,
I apologise if I have misunderstood remarks that were made, I know the written word carries no inflections and its hard to understand what or how another wishes to be taken.
I also think I will start a different thread regarding ancient alphabets instead of languages as it really is more to the subject I wish to communicate. not wanting to step on anyones toes, it may be the best route to take.
A fresh start eh what?,,Peace...,I.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 04:54:16 pm by Ideopraxist » Report Spam   Logged
Akelius
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2007, 08:20:18 pm »

I'd be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but Gwen was the one most offended. 
Report Spam   Logged
Ideopraxist

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2007, 10:01:09 pm »

Hi,
Thank you....I.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2007, 10:25:13 pm »

hey Ideopraxist,

no problem ,we dont hold grudges here ....although there is a member of another forum who is not welcome here due to sustained animosity...but one thing Ideo, you still haven't said where the rocks came from .What's with that ?

I've been at this forum a few months now , We are a tolerant bunch , provided you dont post long,incoherent rants off topic ,(I wont name any names BlueHue....oops,dang Roll Eyes Tongue ) ,you will be considered a valuable member of AO.

Welcome to the forum ,despite the baptism of fire . Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Ideopraxist

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 02:39:08 pm »

Hi,
Thank you, let me see if I can explain my position on your question, it was said generally that 'if they came from here, then they are this'  and 'if they come from there then they have to be that' 'but if it comes from that place its gotta be they cant be those'  this is the preconceived notion I'd like to avoid 'for now', not that I will never say where they are,  its just that the elimination or acceptance of any script based totally on location would be so unfair.
I need the open mindset to progress, if we can identify the alphabets beyond all doubt then we can figure 'how the heck did they get where they are' ..my goal is a building to house them where people can come and see for themselves, so far you see,  I'm considered the 'village idiot' and allowed to pick through and out of, I've told them but they dont see it, so...but I'm bent on the idea there's a library here that crosses all boundries, all cultures, all religons and all races.
The people who inscribed these were a highly intelligent people, they are not primitive and belong to everyone. how long will the Darwin-ist's let that go on if one were to blurt out online 'eureka' ?  after all this time, work, and effort it would be buried in a vault somewhere or denounced as 'well you've seen how our world does' , 'getting long here'
I want to get it to the people first, I am protective, I am sensitive but I hope, not stupid. 

Do you know at this very moment you are surrounded by eternity? And do you know that you can use that eternity if you so desire?
it's better to get something worthwhile done using deception than to fail to get something worthwhile done using truth.

It doesn't matter what one reveals or what one keeps to oneself. Everything we do, everything we are, rests on our personal power. If we don't have enough personal power the most magnificent piece of wisdom can be revealed to us and it won't make a damn bit of difference.
Don Juan (Carlos Castaneda) .
.and..I.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 05:24:29 pm by Ideopraxist » Report Spam   Logged
Ideopraxist

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 04:55:31 pm »

I believe the remnants of Atlantis will undoubtedly be just as Plato said if you believe his story because Plato never said it would be the finding of a sunken landmass that would vindicate his story of Atlantis but the "Sacred Memorial's which could still be observed in places where the fountains once existed, and 'this' [the finding] proves the truth of what I'm saying."  ...I.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 12:15:08 am »

Hi Ideo,

Don't get me wrong ,I try to keep an open mind. Even though I said that if those rocks were found in a certain location then that would determine what script they could be, I don't just jump to that conclusion .I am open to other possibilities, although I would be leaning to what would seem the most likely explanation based on circumstantial evidence.

In your post below you appear to quote Plato.But I have never read that line in Timaeus or Critias.Where did you read it or which translation is it from ??
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: