Atlantis Online
April 20, 2024, 08:51:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Plato's Atlantis: Fact, Fiction or Prophecy?
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=CarolAnn_Bailey-Lloyd
http://www.underwaterarchaeology.com/atlantis-2.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Do the Timaeus and Critias contradict each another?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do the Timaeus and Critias contradict each another?  (Read 2356 times)
Wind

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 03:37:33 pm »

Right you are atalante. I believe that it was the late Ulf Richter who theorized that Atlantis was in fact built in a river delta.   I don’t know if I completely agree with his theories but they are fascinating.   

He also begat and brought up five pairs of twin male children; and dividing the island of Atlantis into ten portions

The above was taken from Plato's Timaeus (Benjamin Jowett version)

Atlantis was an island that was big enough to be devided up into ten kingdoms, To deny this would be to deny the man who’s works form the foundation upon which most if not all Atlantis research has been based upon.

Blue Hue I would be interest to know how your above information even comes close to tying in with your theory  If the word Nesos means Raised terrain then wouldn’t that mean that Atlantis was on a flat top hill or perhaps mountain?   I believe that in Plato’s own writings he described the city as being situated upon a small hill.

Which ever way you look at it Atlantis was not built at the bottom of a volcano

Wind

Report Spam   Logged
BlueHue
Superhero Member

il mio va Piano, sono Asino ?

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 08:42:25 am »

Right you are atalante. I believe that it was the late Ulf Richter who theorized that Atlantis was in fact built in a river delta.    
He also begat and brought up five pairs of twin male children; and dividing the island of Atlantis into ten portions

The above was taken from Plato's Timaeus (Benjamin Jowett version)

Blue Hue I would be interest to know how your above information even comes close to tying in with your theory  If the word Nesos means Raised terrain then wouldn’t that mean that Atlantis was on a flat top hill or perhaps mountain?   I believe that in Plato’s own writings he described the city as being situated upon a small hill.
Wind

Dear.......mr. WIND,

STILL,  Atlantis/ADEN was built in a volcano crater a MUD- volcano- Crater-Plain, that was so large that it could contain a City,
anyway the combination of a MUD- Volcano and Lagoon from which the Subsided Arms or collapsed Volcano-walls prorude like" Promontories
is named a RAS or Cape=Point in Arabic( ancient Eastern-Punic.)

" POSAIDON" means " waterspouter "in ancient Punic, he was Varuna a water Dragon and a GOD of Agriculture
Ras ADEN is a derivation from POS- Aidon or vice- versa.

The original POSEIDON was pictured as RESHEPH who was a man standing on 4 mountain tops( represented as ondulating 'waves'
holding a Wateringvase( lakythos-form modell)pouring water "Pellets" onto a potted Plant-Sapling,  with THREE brances

Later when this POSEIDON-Figure was demonised an d Banned by GOD- King Salmanasser-3
he was re-drawn as a " Storm-God" baned Haddad- RIMMON and the Watering vase became
a Battle-Club whilst the THREE-Pronged Sapling became a Three-Pronged Lance.
Yet even at YAZILLIKAYA,at Boghaz-koy, (Turkey.) the Babylonian artists continued to regard, Poseidon as: " Zeus" three-phylius"

In a MUD- Volcano-bottom there are several secondary Crater-Cores( former ( HOT-) MUD-spouters )that formed flat low" hills/Mounts.

several kilometer in circumference. The TAMBORA Volcano Kingdom( exploded in 1815) was smaller but housed in a LAVA Crater-bottom.

New Orleans and ACCAPULCO are bordering a lagoon and were build in a FLAT volcano bottom.
Point is that MUD-Volcano are larger than lava Volcanoesand completely flat within the petrified MUD- volcano-walls.
Through this Volcano-Bottom acentral River flowed named the river TYPHON or Charontes also named the LETHE-River
( Which was supposedly that central Mountain River from which all FOUR " Paradise-Rivers " diverted through the " Known- World "

Sincerely " BlueHue " dd 8-th APRIL- 2009.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:43:33 am by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

( Blue's)THEORY, locating"original" Atlantis( in Aden-Yemen.)
1: ATLANTIS =Fake=Latin name, original Greek: ATHE(=a Region in Aden)
2: Atlantic-OCEAN=Greek: RIVER-of-Atlas+also" Known "World-OCEAN(=Red-Sea)
3: Greek-obsolete-Numeral 'X' caused Plato's Atlantisdate:9000=900
Wind

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 12:27:51 pm »

Blue hue I am going to repeat what I have already stated, and if you so choose to ignore the facts then your entire foundation upon which you have built your theory, will crumble!  And I do emphasize the word THEORY!   Without proof that all it is, you can keep repeating it until your BLUE in the face, but it’s still a theory.

“The word Nesos means Raised terrain!”  Which would mean that Atlantis was on a flat top hill or perhaps mountain.
Even if Nesos meant promontory like you state, that still doesn’t put Atlantis in the crater of a volcano.

I’m sorry Blue hue I need real proof.
Report Spam   Logged
Wind

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 12:58:56 pm »

This is just a little information that I thought you might like to consider Blue hue

Aden (pronounced /ˈeɪdən/; Arabic: عدن ʿAdan [ˈʕɑdæn]) is a city in Yemen, 170 kilometers east of Bab-el-Mandeb

Aden's ancient, natural harbor lies in the crater of an extinct volcano which now forms a peninsula, joined to the mainland by a low isthmus

Promontory definition

prom·on·to·ry [prómmən tàwree](plural prom·on·to·ries)
n
projecting point of land: a point of land that juts out into the sea

Araby:

Araby comprises the fictional or romanticized traditional counterpart to Arabia or to the Arab world. In the context of Edward Said's view of Orientalism, Araby exemplifies the exotic and mysterious nature of the Middle East.
Report Spam   Logged
Wind

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 01:13:05 pm »

I found the following information on the word Nesos very enlightening.

The Greek word nesos, νῆσος (an island)
derived from the Proto-Indo-European root *snā-

the Proto-Indo-European root *snā-
Derivations in other languages
Greek nesos, Latin nare, Latin natare

Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 01:26:04 pm »

That's true.  It is quite clear from the context of Timaeus and Critias that Plato saw Atlantis as an island or island/continent.
Report Spam   Logged
Mario Dantas
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 04:58:18 am »

No wonder if you picture an Island from the Cape Verde Islands reaching Azores...

Report Spam   Logged

Mario Dantas
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 04:59:45 am »

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 04:40:01 am by Mario Dantas » Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

il mio va Piano, sono Asino ?

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 10:42:56 am »

dear mr. WIND,
sorry for this late reply:
nessos  can be translated two ways into latin as a river isle and as a palace hill or acropolis in aden.( both is insulae.)
Why must atlantis be an oceanic isle ( wich usually are volcanic and not flat plained, unless in river deltas

dr ulf richter in his 'geographers'infinite wisdom of situating his atlantis in a river valley or delta plain  simply forgot that  volcano-caldeiras also got flat plains from molten lavas that erode little as beiing of basalt or granite depending on viscosity the cast of a mud/lava volcano bottom has the appearance of a richat-structure

mexican's -provincial-capital city of acapulco is also a vast flat plain which is not formed by a river silt plain.

dr richter may have avoided calling atlantis a volcano-bottom-kingdom for fear of ridicule.

the kedron valley of jerusalem was also a flat plain of volcanic not river-alluvial- flow origin and needed a watersupply
so king david fellt oblidged to intersect or breach a valley wall to let in a river lest the inhabitants and the hard/ flat soil would dry-out.

they could dig canals but not in granitelest it was in a mud volcano as in aden/adan.

so your allusion to my theory beiing uncarefull is not substantiated

back in another thread 'GEORGEOS' mentioned that almost all atlantologists confuse the atlantis nesos(or center-acropolis which is indeed a circular flat knoll or table mount.) with the atlantis metro-polis(=lower city or sub-urb.)

the promontory thing alludes to a subsided volcano which assumes a horse shoe shape and thus forms two promotonries ( from the french word promontoire.)

conclusion is that plato's atlantis isle was or became an atol like appearance after it sank, but before that it was a volcano caldeiras attached to the mainland by an isthmus or in modern terminology, by a tombolo.

so youse see that blue's theory still stands and that by a misread interpretation of facts the 99% of socalled mainstream atlantologists  continur to keep barking up a wrong tree !

nesos originally meant a silt deposit in a riverbent later a stand alone volcanic isle at sea.
so if you insist on an oceanic isle than it must be a volcano cone

sincerely " blue hue " dd 25 April from polly univ.delft/holland

I found the following information on the word Nesos very enlightening.

The Greek word nesos, νῆσος (an island)
derived from the Proto-Indo-European root *snā-

the Proto-Indo-European root *snā-
Derivations in other languages
Greek nesos, Latin nare, Latin natar
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 06:04:31 am by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

( Blue's)THEORY, locating"original" Atlantis( in Aden-Yemen.)
1: ATLANTIS =Fake=Latin name, original Greek: ATHE(=a Region in Aden)
2: Atlantic-OCEAN=Greek: RIVER-of-Atlas+also" Known "World-OCEAN(=Red-Sea)
3: Greek-obsolete-Numeral 'X' caused Plato's Atlantisdate:9000=900
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 11:07:05 am »

QUOTE:

"mexico's capital city of accapulco"

UNDER AVATAR:

"sono Asino ?"
(translation:
"Am I Jackass?")

Did anybody tell the Mexican Authorities that ACAPULCO is their new capital city?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 05:51:23 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Horus

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 11:25:30 am »

No wonder if you picture an Island from the Cape Verde Islands reaching Azores...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Makaronesia.jpg

That's a really nice map, Mario. What language is that in?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 11:26:30 am by Horus » Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
Mario Dantas
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 05:10:03 pm »

Hi Horus,

I have no idea what language it is, i found it searching for Eastern Atlantic images... sorry

regards,
Mario Dantas
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 05:59:54 pm »

Horus and Mario:

It's  F I N N I S H
Report Spam   Logged

Horus

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 06:33:07 pm »

Thanks Bianca! I thought it sounded familiar. Will send to my Finnish mother!  Wink

BTW, how did you figure that out?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:34:37 pm by Horus » Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 07:30:32 pm »

GOOGLE IS MY FRIEND!!!

I just typed in

VALTAMERI

which I assumed to mean OCEAN since it followed ATLANTIN and, voila`, one of the entries had the translation from the proper language.

But I already had an inkling about it being a Scandinavian language because of the double 'dot'
on the 'a' - not all of them - just a couple.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: